Here's an oddball one.

I just got a giant Bluray in the mail with a large number of scanned ballots (TIFF files). So far as I can tell, they're all in one single directory, hundreds of thousands of them, and the total disk had 21GB of data on it. Tools like 'ls' and whatnot just don't work because they take too long to run. Just to make things more fun, there appear to be some hard errors at the end of the Bluray disk.

After much pain, 'dd conv=noerror' appeared to let me cleanly extract an ISO from the Bluray, so now I've got that on my hard drive and I'm now dealing with a local ISO image. Clearly, I need to extract files into a bunch of subdirectories.

The problem is getting to the point where I even know the damn file names. I've mounted the ISO, I go into the directory, and 'ls' again just sits and spins, completely consuming one core of my CPU, in kernel space. Surprisingly, even 'find . -print' is unhelpful. All it prints is "." before the kernel again gets slammed. After ten minutes, it hasn't printed a single file name.

So... any advice on how I can extract these files from the ISO image?