When I was a college undergrad, in the summer of 1991, I trashed my wrists quite thoroughly and wrote the initial Typing Injury FAQ, back when that meant running a robot that regularly reposted those documents to Usenet. I later moved it to the web (~1993) and passed it onto somebody else (~1997). The current web site, such as it is (with a split between tifaq.com and tifaq.org, with both sucking - both used to redirect to one place), is a sad leftover.

For what it's worth, my recovery from the hell of bilateral tendinitis (at its worst, I couldn't pick up a toothbrush) was a combination of:

- a Kinesis Contoured / Ergonomic Keyboard (costing a whopping $700 in 1992, and I had to pick up an aging 286 and write the software to adapt it to drive the Sun workstation I was really trying to use; now it's $200 or so and has a standard USB interface); cool bonus, I can type maybe 80wpm on a standard keyboard and over 100wpm on a Kinesis.

- having my own desk and chair suited to my needs, notably including removing the arm rests and having the keyboard as low as possible to my lap (bad posture, in every possible way, was a significant contributor to my original injury)

- learning and tweaking all the keyboard equivalents, so I don't use the mouse as much, and specifically going out of my way to avoid click-dragging (which is radically worse for you than just clicking)

When I was initially recovering from my injury, they had me in wrist braces (which sucked), had me taking 800mg of ibuprofen, multiple times daily (which felt awful), and had me doing ice baths (which were an exercise in torture). It probably took two solid years for me to even vaguely recover, and another five years for me to feel that I was truly healed. Among my discoveries:

- hot/cold contrast baths, which you can do in any sink, were every bit as effective (for me) as plunging my wrists in ice, but were far less painful

- keeping my wrists warm, while working, was and still is essential to being comfortable (I even convinced a friend, who wanted to knit me some socks, that what I really wanted were some custom arm tubes, which I used for driving and for typing years after my initial injury)

- I got a professional-grade Plantronics headset for my office desk phone; it's the only comfortable way to have a long phone call and still be able to use my computer

There is no one product or gizmo that can single-handedly help you recover from a nasty repetitive-strain injury. The best thing, of course, is not to get one in the first place and to listen to your own body. If it hurts a little and you say "oh, I just need to finish this one thing" you're asking for a world of hurt where you really, really don't want to go. To recover from my injury, I did all kinds of self-experimentation, like the arm-tubes above (which started as an experiment with socks sans feet). It took that kind of all-out effort to claw my way back.

Really, you cannot possibly be too vigilant in taking care of your hands.