High volume HP printers (46xx, 81xx, for example) behaved very very well, at work, even under very heavy usage. I'd recommend those.

Low volume / small office / personal HP laser printers, are instead just awful. As Matt said, I also experienced very poor software but, much worse than that, even very poor drivers for any Windows platform later than XP.

For small offices (two or three desks), we are very happy with Dell Laser Multifuncion printers/scanners/fax. They just work, and in those rare occasions when thet needed it, Dell tech support was as always (in my experience) just flawless.

For my home, I got a Dell 1235CN (Samsung rebranded) and I am quite happy with it. I'd say it's been perfect so far if it wasn't that Dell(Samsung, actually) released a firmware upgrade which broke it and some internet search and hacking was needed to bring it back to life and eventually upgrade it. Disappointing, for a machine which has been working flawlessly for the last two years on a daily basis; in any case, it was an easy fix and it keeps doing its job happily.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg