I would be especially interested in comments on my installation scripts and the modified init script.
I am thinking of rewriting the init script in a way that checks /usr/local/startup-scripts for executable scripts and executes them before entering the player/bash-loop. This would make up for a single (and static) init script and multiple startup-scripts for each extra application that should run on an empeg. By that way, an init script installed with (say) an ftp server (guess which one) would not disable an already existing displayserver init script, but add to it.

Hmm, a simplified init.s/rc?.d/[KS]* stucture, right? Cool!

Actually, why not borrow from the concept of run levels some more? I mean, during boot we will probably want to start/configure a couple of things before entering a standard player/shell loop (most easily done by exec-ing the standard init). Now, when quitting the player we might want to do different things (I already have a small script called from /etc/profile that prompts me on display what to do next: play tetris, mount drives RW and drop to shell, return to player...) How about such a script which then switches to 'run level' of our choice (chosen via remote or serial terminal) executing appropriate K* stop and S* start scripts?

Now, this is easy enough for anybody to write for themselves, but let's agree on details, so that our resident magicians can write mutually compatible install scripts.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue