Glad to hear you did have some time to explore.
Originally Posted By: Redrum
Must not be a recession in Austin.

Austin didn't get hit nearly as hard as some other areas of the nation. I attribute this to a mix of the college population (living off loans), along with some good decisions by the city. Politically, Perry also likes to take some credit, but his direct involvement in the city is limited. About the only signs of recession there are more on the outskirts of town, where some office construction was halted. During the boom, tons of new office buildings were going up, in anticipation of the rapid growth continuing. Austin metro was the 3rd largest growth area during 2000-2006.

Hill country – Those are hills??? Well I guess in Texas they are.

Indeed, not quite like the big hills elsewhere, or the mountains out west. They at least provided some variation to the generally flat Texas landscape. I chuckled a bit when I saw them the first time too, but there are some nice areas out there.

Barbeque in a gas station – My boss took me to a gas station that was also apparently famous for its barbeque. I can’t remember the name but it was good. They gave you a bole of barbeque and some bread and you made your own. I got the spicy but I was surprised that it really was not that hot. I thought Texas was known for its hot food.

Sounds like Rudy's. Their headquarters store is in the northern part of Austin, off 183. And they have quite a few scattered around. Quick service, good quality, and decent pricing resulted in frequent visits when I lived there. I go there once every time I visit now that I've moved away.