Since the original iPad came out I've been thinking that I'd like to put together a small system to serve music and video to iOS devices in the car - and optionally outside of it during rest-stops, vacation, parties, etc.

My idea was to install SqueezeBox server onto a small PC running Linux and its own ad-hoc wireless network. The iOS device would connect to that network and running appropriate software, iPeng in this case, play back music. There are also a few decent video streaming apps now that such a system may also allow movie playback.

I haven't done much research into specific computers, but I'd always figured it would be one of the new mini systems. I was hoping for something with a 12V supply, but the one(s) I've looked at recently have 19v:

Zotac ZBOX Nano AD10: http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-amd-e-350-apu-barebone-zbox-ad10-u.html

ZOTAC ZBOX nano VD01: http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-amd-e-350-apu-barebone-zboxnano-vd01-u.html

The second one isn't available yet as it was just officially announced a few weeks ago. It's going to be cheaper than the first seeing as it's not as high performance. Saw a rumor of $130 for barebones price.

Any thoughts on booting such a machine from an SDHC card? I'd then use a 500B-1TB 2.5" drive for media storage. I have a 500GB hybrid Seagate drive sitting here that can't be used in my Macbook because it kills the battery too quickly.

I'd probably put VNC onto the system as well in case I needed to administer it without taking it over to a monitor and keyboard/mouse. Any opinions on installing Ubuntu for this kind of project?

Since the PC is 19V I won't be able to use a 12v-to-12v supply and the easiest thing to do would probably be to install an inverter allowing me to simply plug in the PC's power supply. I don't have any outlets in any of my vehicles already. It would be nice to get the system to properly shut down when the car is turned off and turn on when the car is turned on, so a relay of some sort will have to fit in here somewhere as well.

Any recommendations for other small systems?

Edited by hybrid8 (23/10/2011 17:38)