Originally Posted By: gbeer
Foam is a good insulator - not likely what you want.

That's what I was thinking, and it makes perfect sense to me, but it seems they have technology in some of these mattresses that address this to a point where it's superior to what you can get with a traditional mattress. Including this gel stuff that's supposed to be coming out soon.

I also spent about 15 minutes sitting on one (not the new ones with the gel) in the store in one place, trying to mimic what I felt when reading in bed. It didn't get warm at all, but again, that's when I was fully clothed, had no sheets or anything on top of me, and in a giant, cool, storeroom.

Quote:
Don't be afraid to spend - inexpensive mattresses break down faster.

I don't think that'll be a problem. We might be getting help there as an anniversary gift smile

Quote:
Also go firmer than you might think you want. Mattresses never get firmer with age, just the opposite.

Don't worry, I'm all for the firmer mattresses. I really do not like the soft ones in the hotels I've been to.

Quote:
You shouldn't feel the bones of the mattress, if you feel them now...

That's another problem, I don't know what I feel. The saleswoman asked me questions about how it felt, and I don't know if I'm crazy or what but it's hard for me to know how to describe this stuff, or tell the difference, especially without spending a night on it. I know by the results, and if I have a good night's sleep on it, I know I like it. But that's hard to do here.

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Best mattress I ever slept on (going on 7 years now) is Tempurpedic.

See, that's why this is hard. It's a subjective thing but it seems like something I can't know in advance of buying one, and if I'm wrong then I'm either out a few hundred dollars to return it or I'm stuck with it for a couple decades frown

Quote:
As for staying cool... fewer blankets?

HA! Yeah, that's not possible. I already sleep most nights with only a bedsheet. Some nights without even that. Like I said, I run hot frown