Originally Posted By: sn00p
If the device does not have a serial number or all devices have the same serial number, then they'll all have the same COM port number, unless more than one of them is plugged in at the same time, in which case it will be random.

It's interesting. Some of our tests involve swapping the devices to different USB ports on the computer. Some devices, new COM ports are created when I swap to a different USB port, and other devices, they keep the same COM port number when I swap.

What's funny is that I've got some USB GPS units which are made by Pharos but which are microsoft-branded. We've got both sets here: The original Pharos units as well as the Microsoft-rebranded ones. The MS ones have a slightly different USB ID and run on different drivers, but the hardware is identical, right down to every detail on the packaging and labeling. They both use a Prolific chipset for USB-to-serial conversion. The Microsoft ones are the ones that stay the same but the Pharos ones make a new COM port when I swap.