Originally Posted By: Dignan
BTW, Doug - love the watch.
Absolutely the only "jewelry" I own. Non-functional baubles don't appeal to me. I almost bought this used watch (~$16,000 off the suggested list price was tempting) but then I discovered that it wouldn't do square roots, so I crossed it off my list.

Originally Posted By: Tim
I'm thinking you buy three canisters and then just rotate between them, when the newest gets full, hope that the wasps are dead. If not, buy three more
Not necessary. The bees do not survive the trip into the innards of the Dyson. A little research shows why.

"The Dyson vacuum’s outer cyclone rotates at 200 mph, removing debris and most of the dust while an inner cyclone rotating at 924 mph drives fine dust and even particles of cigarette smoke out of the air."

Originally Posted By: BAKup
Dilute the nectar a bit more, and/or put up a separate feeder for the bees with a stronger concentration of nectar than the hummingbird feeder.
I have read that those are effective strategies. Even moving the feeders a few feet will sometimes work. However, I have solved the problem.

I noticed that the bees always clustered around one particular spot where the reservoir joined the base. They would pile up on top of each other there, leaving other parts of the feeder, including the little "flower" accesses, alone. With incredible powers of deduction, I surmised that maybe they piled up there because there was something there that they liked to eat. Another clue was that the bees pretty much ignored the red feeder, assembling only on the purple one.

I unscrewed the reservoir, daubed a generous helping of RTV Silicone onto the threads, reassembled it and let it dry.

No more bees.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Bee-less.jpg