It seems these Red drives do have an advantage over the regular Green drives. For one, they use platters of 1 TB density, so they're a good deal faster than the Greens. Also, 3D Active Balance Plus (a self-balancing technology) and NoTouch ramp load technology might make it worth it, together with the extra year of warranty. Thanks to its self-balancing technology, it's also the most silent drive WD has ever produced. About its only downside (apart from the somewhat higher price), is that it has been tuned to be less aggressive on head motions, which results in higher random access times. This is done op purpose because this drive is meant for bulk storage and silent operation. All this can be read in this review.

I was wondering Mark, since this drive does have TLER enabled, would it be a dumb idea to use one of these drives in a regular desktop system? Or would it be smarter to wait for WD to also start using 1TB platters in the Green drives. (to be honest, I like the idea of whisper quiet drives as well, and I doubt WD will ever use this 3D Active Balance Plus technlogy in their desktop line of drives).