Originally Posted By: Archeon
Then I guess here's the obvious question (since I've never known anyone with that much 'hands-on' experience): does that mean you like Android the best as a portable OS now? If so, why? What did you like/hate about the iPhone and Windows Phones and what do you believe Android could still improve on?

I don't hate the iPhone at all. Everyone in my office has one that I have to support, so I still get a lot of hands-on experience with them. I think it's a really compelling package for people that want their device to just work without farting around with settings and 3rd-party apps. I have only Apple PCs at home, so I'm not anti-Apple by any stretch.

What I don't like about the iPhone is the UI simplicity, small screens, and not being able to assign 3rd-party apps as defaults. As for the UI (static grid of icons), Android blows Apple out of the water there. I even prefer WP7's live tiles to what Apple delivers. Having info available at a glance on the home screen is great. Jelly Bean 4.2 makes it even better with lock screen widgets.

There is another big plus to Android that really only affects US customers. Google Voice is great and it only works 100% seamlessly on Android. To get Google Voice to integrate with the iPhone dialer, you need to jailbreak. When I owned iPhones, I was often behind an iOS version or two because I had to wait for a jailbreak. That's not how I want to live.

Originally Posted By: mlord
I think Rob likes new toys. The latest, the greatest, the shiniest, the coolest, or simply the most different and bleeding edge. Good hobby!

That's pretty accurate, but it's also a bit of curiosity. When I forced myself to use WP7 for a couple months, it wasn't because I think it's the next big thing. I just want to check it out and have a good understanding of it in case someone asks me a question.