I now have two UniFi access points installed in my house. One is on the top floor (of three) at sort of the front-right side of my home. The other is in the left-back on the middle floor in our TV room.

The installation process was nearly as easy as it could possibly be. I used two ethernet cables per AP, connecting one from the AP to the POE jack on the included POE injector, and the other cable from the LAN jack on the injector to the wall jack. The AP started flashing, meaning it was in listening mode ready for adoption.

I then installed the controller software on my main PC (which is on most of the time). The only hiccup I had here is that I had other software (Tivo Desktop) using port 8080, so I paused the Tivo Desktop service and everything was fine (I don't use it that much anyway). From there the APs simply showed up in the controller's UI, I adopted them, I set up my wireless networks (including a guest network), and I was done! It was an extremely easy process!

Afterwards I started tested the roaming by starting a Youtube video on my phone immediately next to one of the APs where I had a full WiFi signal. With the video playing I walked up the stairs, into the room with the other AP, and stood next to it. As I walked I saw the signal dropping, and when I got close to the other AP I saw it go back up again. The whole time the video didn't skip a beat! I'm sure it had buffered quite a bit but it just kept going. I did the same thing while playing rdio and didn't have a drop.

I'm extremely impressed by this system. The setup was absurdly simple, and the performance that I'm seeing is solid. While I was a decent ways away from one of the APs I was able to get 25mbps down/up with the Speed Test.net app.

I also wanted to test the wireless uplink feature of the UniFi APs, so I went through that process too. It wasn't immediately clear how to do it, but after watching a very quick Youtube video I found out that it takes about four steps. You simply unplug one of your APs, wait for the controller to show it as disconnected (this part takes about 10 minutes of waiting), then choose to have the AP uplink from one of your other APs. Super easy to do.

Now, I've only had these APs installed for about 30 minutes, so I can't really say how well they're going to do, but the initial results are extremely promising. I love having multiple APs in my house and being able to roam between them with no hassle. I also like that I can expand on this setup if I ever feel like I need to.

*edit*
I just wanted to add that I went with the basic, low-end UniFi APs. These aren't even the "long-range" models, they're just the $81.50/AP models from Amazon, and I'm getting very good coverage in my 3300sqft home.

Edited by Dignan (13/07/2013 21:22)