I bought a used player some time back, and finally got around to hooking it up, and have run into a few problems.

Biggest concern is that no matter how I connect to my computer (USB or Ethernet) the computer apparently does not see the player. I cannot see the player in File Explorer nor in emplode. I tried two different USB cables and three different USB ports on the computer to no avail. Emplode-->Help-->About says emplode 2.0, "No player connected"

The player has an illuminated button kit installed, and I think that it is problematical. For the most part the buttons work, except that the top button has to be pressed twice to change the state of the player from play to pause, or from pause to play. This is 100% repeatable. It doesn't matter if I click it fast or slow. The first click does nothing (it makes the illuminated buttons flash momentarily brighter); then, even if it is 10 seconds later, the second click does the expected thing.

This is a Mark II player (NOT Rio branded) and the rotary knob doesn't click at all, that is you can twist it but not press it, but otherwise it seems to function correctly. It doesn't feel like a normal empeg rotary knob -- the detents are more positive, and click quite loudly when the knob is turned.

I don't have a long enough set of RCA cables handy to see if it will actually play music.

Okay, SWMBO *finally* came back home with the car, I can test the "new" player there and see if it actually makes noise. [pause 5 minutes] Yes, it does. [/end pause]

I guess that boils it down to just three concerns.

1) How do I get either of my players to talk to the computer?;
2) What is the "press twice act once" thing with the top button?
3) Why is there no "press" capability on the rotary knob?

But... Perhaps I have a fundamental misunderstanding of... something. Because my faithful "old" player doesn't show up in File Explorer or emplode either. It's been so long (more than four years) since I've done anything with an empeg except turn it on and let it play that I've forgotten what little I knew. It's been a long time since Mozart added anything to his repertoire, so I haven't felt any pressure to add more music.

So... what am I doing wrong here?

tanstaafl.