Originally Posted By: Taym
Is it possible one of the following is in the internal drive:
MBR
BOOT directory
bootmgr file
pagefile.sys file
?
What is in the drive root if you issue the "dir /a" command?
and also
hiberfil.sys
pagefile.sys
swapfile.sys
Recovery (dir)

F:\dir /a:
LIBRARY
System Volume Information

and that's it.

There was a bootmgr file, and another boot-related file, but they are gone now. I spent an hour and a half with the computer at the computer store today and they were able, with considerable effort and a bit of risk (possibility of having to format the C:> drive and reinstall Windows) change the F:> drive from "System, Active..." to just plain "Healthy Primary Partition" like all the other data drives.

hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys are all on the C:> drive and have been all along.

I disabled hibernation and got rid of the hiberfil.sys file, picked up 5GB of space on my SSD, and am working on moving the pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys files over to my D:> drive. I know it can be done, but so far the instructions I have found have been confusing.

After getting rid of the "System, Active" parameters on the F:> drive, I formatted it and as I type this am restoring it from backup. 1.72 TB takes a long time...

But that brings up another question. After a fresh format on the F:> drive, I immediately checked filespace, and somewhat to my surprise there was 237MB shown as "Used Space". Windows Explorer showed nothing on that drive other than the empty System Volume Information file. Now, that's a big improvement over the 31.4 GB that used to be hiding from me, but I AM a bit curious as to what's eating that 237 MB.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
237MB.jpg