Originally Posted By: robricc
There is a photo gallery/editing program that's part of Windows Live Essentials. You can give that a try since, as a licensed Windows user, it's a free download.
Thanks, Andy. I was all prepared to post a rant about how useless, cluttered, and over-simplified the Windows Live Photo Gallery program was when I accidentally clicked on the "Fine Tune" button, and there popped up over on the right side of the window the familiar manual adjustments, with even a few improvements -- the histogram, and the ability to have all of the adjustment sliders on-screen at once. And, I reluctantly admit that the automated tool that lets me choose one of nine combined highlight-brightness-shadow presets simultaneously works pretty well.

Navigation is troubling. There does not appear to be a way to browse the full directory structure without adding specific subdirectories to the "Photo Library". That just doesn't match up with the way I have my pictures organized. Yeah, I'm old-school and everything in my computer is organized by drive letter, directory, subdirectory (and many sub-sub directories!) and filename, with all directories named clearly and logically to make navigation obvious.

It'll take a bit of adjustment ("It's different from what I'm used to so it can't be any good…") but it is a big improvement over what I was dealing with before.

Thank you again.

tanstaafl.