Originally Posted By: tfabris
That [Copy /B file1 + file2 mergedfile] works, and it's more or less the method I use. But you must remember that it's only successful if:...
That's how I've always done it, and I always used MP3TagStudio for the the file-prep, and for the trimming after concatenating. This time I had bad results -- lots of artifacts, noise, pops, and general degradation after running MP3TS' VBR fix module and removing the tags.

MP3TS has not been updated in years (Magnus seems to have abandoned it) and I suspect that it is not fully compatible with Windows 8.1.

I worked with Audacity and did finally manage to get a decent enough concatenated/trimmed file to send to my friend. But what should have been a 10 minute job (or less) ended up taking about five hours by the time I was done, trying things that didn't work, downloading and installing software, learning enough about Audacity to do the trivial job I was attempting, finding out that Audacity wouldn't save the file until I installed LAME, etc.

Audacity is an interesting program, but it's kind of like swatting mosquitoes with a shotgun -- a bit of overkill for what I was doing. I'll play around with MP3Trim and see what it does.

tanstaafl.