Ah, hah! I suppose I didn't realize that rsync was a required part of the process. So rsync sees the symlink and then transfers the actual .mp3 targeted by the simlink. Does it also rename the file to xx0? I'll have to set up rsync and try again.

I just ran mp3tofid on a small folder again and I'm looking at the xx1 files. There is a 'loadfrom' entry which points to the local directory on my MacBook. As this is the index file and NOT the actual .mp3data file, does the empeg simply ignore this? What is the purpose of this entry, if this is the file read by the empeg? Here's an example:

artist=M83
bitrate=vs196
codec=mp3
ctime=1444155365
duration=303177
file_id=8/15
genre=Alternative & Punk
length=7422614
loadfrom=./M83/Before The Dawn Heals Us/08 Teen Angst.mp3
offset=2229
rid=df49f2f94bdb8c6bee09e294072b7c46
samplerate=44100
source=Before The Dawn Heals Us
title=Teen Angst
tracknr=8/15
trailer=626
type=tune
year=2005

I've also noticed that it's used the shorthand directory which I used in the mp3tofid command, i.e. ./M83 vs /Users/Trevor/Desktop/M83. I suppose I should get in the habit of using full directories when running it? Would this affect rsync? This question seems to fall in line with the purpose of the 'loadfrom' entry. I checked, and fids created by emplode or jemplode do not have this entry.

I have read your FAQ multiple times, Tony. That's usually where I start with any issue that I have. But I'm just lost here with this. I realize that it's 15 years later, but I'm still trying to use my empeg every day and I'm finding it more and more difficult.