If the Car Talk guys were still doing their thing (Rest in peace, Tommy), I'd call them about this one. But I figure the EmpegBBS is the next best thing, right?

Car: Honda Accord SE, 2000 model year.

Check engine light comes on. Home scan tool app+bluetooth-plug says Code: P1166 Meaning: Primary HO2S (no. 1). Some internet research tells me this means that my Primary (upstream) Heated Oxygen Sensor needs to be replaced. The internet also tells me that this is underneath the car and is connected to the exhaust system somewhere beneath the center of the car.

I notice that there is a thing that looks like it might be an oxygen sensor in a much easier-to-reach place in the front of the engine compartment. So easy I could practically do it without getting my hands dirty. But the internet tells me that that's not the O2 sensor, that's the airflow sensor. The O2 sensor is a harder one that involves being under the car and undoing a particularly annoying wiring connector (the ones where I always scrape my knuckles trying to get the fscking connector undone).

So I take the car to a local car repair shop (a Firestone which I've had great service from in the past, these are the only guys who have been able to do my front brakes without warping the discs from overtorqing). Tell them my check engine light is on and that the internet tells me that the thing that needs to be replaced is under the car.

When I get the car back, I see the following when I look at it:
- Under the hood, the "easy" thing has been replaced. The thing that my research told me wasn't the part that needed to be replaced.
- (I haven't looked under the car to see if they ALSO replaced the hard thing.)
- The check engine light is still on.

Take it back to the repair shop, and they tell me:
- The tech said he replaced the correct necessary parts, I'm good, don't worry.
- All I need to do is drive the car a bit, through some city driving and highway driving. The engine computer will eventually figure it out, and the check engine light, and the fault code, will clear themselves.

It's been a couple days, including at least one commute at highway speed, and the check engine light is still on.

Opinions? Should I wait longer and do more driving?