Tony, I actually think there's a difference there, right in the general principle, rather than the technology.

In the past, precisely because data was not as well protected, Apple helped the authorities to retrieve data exploiting weaknesses in the system.

This time, they're being asked to weaken the system; to change it back to a previous, less secure state.

I think there's a significant different. One thing is to ask me to exploit weaknesses in my products, another thing is to force me to redesign them (worsen them).

The argument that this change will only affect this one phone is weak, also. FBI is already asking to use this same method on 12 more phones, and it could be used fraudulently on any other iPhone. Would I, as a consumer, consider an iPhone secure, at that point?

I've never been a fan of Apple, and while I think Apple products are great in many ways, unfortunately they have disappointed me more often than not. This case is winning me over to the iPhone, provided the Gov't does not force apple to break it.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg