I haven't had a seriously focused system for ripping+encoding+tagging set up for a while now. For a long time I was using the Rio Central, but that went on the fritz a while back (hard disk failure) and now it is no longer my solution.

In the meantime, for my occasional CD purchase, my system has been to use Windows Media Player to rip the disc and then hand-tag with MP3 Tag Studio. This is not very good because I have less control over certain things and it's also not very scriptable.

I now have a stack of backlogged discs which I purchased and haven't ripped yet. I realized that one of the reasons they're not on the Empeg yet is that I don't have a streamlined system for doing that any more, like I used to have.

Most people use iTunes for this process, but I have several reasons for not wanting to use it for this purpose. I'm looking for something other than iTunes that will fit nicely into my workflow, potentially something that is powerful, highly configurable, and supports scripting. I've been so out of touch in this area for so long that I don't even know what's out there. Google seems to show a lot of "stuff" but I don't know what's good.

Anyone have an recommendations?