Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Yeah, but what do I care about future versions if the one I am using works with the hardware and operating system that I have? It is possible that some future upgrade to Windows 10 will make my old, obsolete CrashPlan quit working (like what happened to Karen's Replicator) but likely that will be years from now. If it happens, I'll deal with it then.

Suffice to say that I want to make sure my backup scheme is operating with actively supported software. I want to know that security patches, bug fixes, and general software maintenance is ongoing. Part of why I liked CrashPlan so much is that it was a fire-and-forget solution. Install it and it does auto-updates and, as such, generally just works. (There was that one time I had to increase the JVM memory size. Let's pretend that was an aberration. The point still stands.)

When Apple dropped support for their AirPort Extreme WiFi units, coincidentally around the same time that Google announced their own WiFi units, the same sort of logic led me to dump the former and adopt the latter. Also, those Google WiFi units are exceptionally good, but that's a topic for another thread.

Consequently, I now have to decide whether I want to go with a cloudy solution, or whether I want to wait for some open-source hero to come out with a clone of the "peer to peer" mode from CrashPlan.

Of course, what I *really* want is for Apple to support "Remote TimeMachine", except you know they won't ever do such a thing unless it involves iCloud and monthly fees.