It sounds like this might meed your needs. It should be on the drive image disk.

Yes, it is on the disk, but I didn't investigate it very thoroughly because the instruction manual said pretty much what the ZDNet article said, mainly:

Before we get started, it's important to realize that DataKeeper isn't designed to back up your entire hard disk--just your data files. In fact, DataKeeper's default settings exclude all executable files as well as those files associated with executables such as DLL files.

My goal is to always have a replacement drive that I can go to by swapping a few jumpers or maybe just change the boot order in the BIOS. For that it needs to be an exact copy of the primary drive. Now... if I create the exact copy with drive image (so far V4.0 has given no problems, except that it is slower than I anticipated) and then use DataKeeper to keep the "copy" drive updated... that might work. Or perhaps if I change the default file types in DataKeeper to the equivalent of *.* it would make my exact bootable copy.

I'll try that this weekend, and let you know what happens.

I don't really want a full mirroring system -- because that system instantly mirrors my mistakes. With a backup system (as opposed to mirroring) I can still undo things -- at least until I do the next backup.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"