I wonder how many other US folks here are looking at the smartcard discussion in wonder. It's really a shame credit cards here stuck to magnetic stripes for so long. Seems like the usage of smartcards for payments also helped spur a lot more security advancement efforts in general. I think the only place I've seen widespread smartcard usage outside payments is the military and their chipped ID badges.

Still a shame we "upgraded" to Chip and Signature, and even though we have, my card has been swiped through a magnetic reader more then 10 times this year *sigh*. Banks have a lot of influence on the security field, for better or worse. Telecoms seem to be the other commercial part of the market pushing from time to time.

I've been hearing some interesting possibilities from newer markets that lack the legacy infrastructure and are starting fresh on mobile first solutions.

Originally Posted By: tahir
I agree with what you're saying, but how do you change?

Find ways to make changing things easier. Almost every environment I've worked in has tried something, only to see it fail later for some reason. The environments agile enough to change and try something new always had a leg up on the ones that had to throw the issue into the unpaid tech debt column.