Originally Posted By: Attack
I use CloneZilla https://clonezilla.org/ to move to new drives, so you could use it to make a bootable clone of your current drive.
I am still a little confused about the actual mechanics of making the clone and more importantly, restoring it if necessary.

To make the clone seems straightforward enough. Choose the source drive, choose the destination, and tell CloneZilla to do its thing.

I will be cloning from a 110GB SSD drive to a 330GB external, removable hard drive in a USB dock. I know I can clone from a smaller drive to a larger physical drive, but will I have trouble restoring from the 330GB drive back to the 110GB SSD? Do I need to partition the 330GB drive into three 110GB partitions first? I think I would do that anyway, to have "A" "B" and "C" clones to give me more than one option for restoring. Do the partitions have to match the SSD size exactly to the byte?

My system drive (the SSD) is only about 36% full at the moment. Since the SSD is only partly filled, can I clone it to a smaller partition (say, 100GB instead of 110)?

When restore time comes around, how to I convince my computer to boot from the cloned drive, which will be drive letter H, or maybe I or J? From there, do I just tell CloneZilla the source and destination drives and let it do its thing? I assume that CloneZilla will already be on the newly booted cloned drive.

I imagine the procedure isn't as complicated as I am making out here, but I want to have a good idea of what is ahead of me before I start.

tanstaafl.