I have a very small amount of experience working on the telco lines coming into the wiring closet in an office building.

I was lucky in that I had help: a telco expert who was doing the work on the building and who showed me a lot of stuff about it. He was basically an independent contractor who did wiring work in the telco closets, and also did things like network wiring of buildings. He was a former phone company employee who branched out into his own business.

It was very nice of him to impart some of his knowledge to me. He gave me enough information so that I could maintain the existing punchdown block and to add/remove items as needed.

This was a new building that we were spec'ing ourselves from scratch, and yet it still got very messy very quickly. My feeling is that if you're not working with a subject matter expert on one of these things, you're going to get yourself in trouble and possibly break things.

So see if you can find telco wiring contractor people like that one, to hire and help with the process. I don't know what they would be called in the phone book; my guy was hired by the building company.