One thing I've found with the options attribute (including ignore-as-child, randomise, etc) is that subsequently-added children gain the options - this is usually not what I want, particularly when doing as Tony described. Perhaps this is an emptool-only feature - can someone report whether emplode and/or Jemplode do the same?

The way this bit me is that each time I upload, I create a playlist /new/{date}, and upload into it (this is so that I can do listening tests, tag checking, etc, and so that I can populate my /singles/{year}/ and /moods/*/ playlists without being distracted by already-processed tracks). I'd set /new/ to be ignore-as-child; this meant that everything I added was ignored...

Note also that each item has only one set of options - if you want to ignore certain items only as children of certain playlists, you may need to interpose a dummy parent to do so. (Or perhaps hard-link the *0 file and copy the *1 file to a new FID on the player, modify the *1, and rebuild the database. But I haven't tried that, though I'm considering it for my /covers/*/ playlist, where Now + Next looks a bit silly with all titles the same...).

--
Toby Speight - 040103385