Hi !

Happy Happy Joy Joy !!

It worked exactly like i assumed before ...

-1- connecting the original drive to my PC, booting the mulinux floppy ( available from www.mulinux.com ), that gives you a mini-linux.

-2- Mounting the right partitions: PC-Partion with enough free space ( mount -n /dev/hda5 /mnt/pc in MY case), Linux empeg Partion ( mount -n /dev/hdc4 /mnt/empeg in MY case )

-3- Backup of original files : cp /mnt/empeg/* /mnt/pc

-4- disconnecting of the empeg drive from the PC, connecting fresh HD to the empeg unit.

-5- Using the empeg upgrader to upload the "disk builder" image to the empeg & run the empeg -> HD will be partioned & prepared so that it acts like a brand new empeg unit after all that ( thx to tfabris & daniel for sending me images !! )

-6- connecting the new drive to the PC, booting mulinux & copying the backup files to the new HD, do a chmod 644 ./* on all of the files in var & fids, renaming "playlist" to "playlists".

-7- finally putting the empeg unit together with the new HD as only unit.

YAHOOOOOOOO

without database rebuild or whatever the unit works exactly like the old HD, everythings like normal, only i got 8 GByte free space :-)

I used a IBM Travelstar ( DARA ) 12 GByte which costed me 505 DM w/o VAT ( 250 Euro )

Thats it !
Only Hardware to buy: An adapter for connecting 2.5 " drives to normal IDE cable, cost about 5-10 Euro in many shops unlike the strange 44 pin cable, i even borrowed mine from a friend, so additional costs = 0 !!!!

Nils

P.S. just be careful when doing things please, dont loose your head :-)