Ughh.. I had to check out this EmVAX. This person can not possible market such a contraption. The empeg car compares with companys like Pioneer and Alpine as far as car stereos are concerned (in my opinion). This EmVAX looks like it has no indash control aside from the voice operation. So what the hell do you do when the car player doesn't like your voice or other voice control anomolies?

What I like about empeg is the quality control. I can't wait to get a Mark II. I can't see how the EmVAX could even compare quality-wise to the empeg. With no shock protection, and a big bulky minitower case (probably all just quickly slapped together), I wouldn't recommend on to my frieds. Hell, that's all you need is the cards or processor coming loose from bumps in the road.

It is obvious what you are paying for when you get the empeg car. I don't think it is possible to achieve the same results for less. At the same time, I hope the empeg guys can find ways to keep the empeg competitive cuz I'll bet the other car audio companies are gonna jump in soon and try to squash out empeg :(

Still, I think if Alpine or Pioneer created an in-car mp3 player, it'll be proprietary anyway (looks like the Aiwa is)... can't imagine it being better or more fun than having Linux in my car!

There's my rant!

(btw, I don't have an empeg yet, but I'm anxiously awaiting the Mark II. My $1500 US dollars is as good as spent as soon as the unit is available :) )