I'm looking at ways of connecting Bluetooth capable mobile phone to empeg. The goal would be to establish a GPRS connection and have a low-cost Internet access available in car. However, I haven't figured out an easy way of doing that yet.

Let's start by looking at the interfaces what empeg support:

10Base-T network: It would be possible to connect a Bluetooth Access Point to the network slot, but that only makes sense if the Bluetooth device would support LAN Access Profile. All Bluetooth mobile phones support only Serial Port and Dial-Up Networking Access Profiles.

USB Slave: There are several Bluetooth USB adapters in the market, but as with so many other devices, they only act as USB slaves. As we know, two USB slaves can't communicate without a host - which is missing from empeg. Are there any special USB "hubs" that would solve this kind of problem?

RS-232 serial port: With couple of Bluetooth RS-232 adapters in the market, this would probably be the easiest solution. However, in my case, I have the serial port already hooked up with a GPS receiver. Is anyone aware of RS-232 splitters or dividers which would let i.e. two devices to communicate on the same line with halved bandwith or such? Actually, the TX line could always be attached to the Bluetooth adapter since I only need to receive data from the GPS module. Then, the remaining problem would be to share the RX line among the GPS receiver and Bluetooth adapter.

None of the three options sound like a plug'n'play solution for Bluetooth connectivity -- are there any alternative ideas?

Kim