As a bit of a lark, a buddy and I are going to fly from Seattle to France in January for the 70th Monte Carlo Rally. We're newcomers to spectating and have never been to a WRC event, but I had some United frequent flyer miles burning a hole in my pocket, we're always looking to get the hell out of Seattle in January, and I figured I might as well use the FF miles while they're still good!

It's a longshot, but I figured that with the varied set of characters found here, I might as well ask if anybody has experience with the spectator experience at Monte Carlo. I have been to Nice during the summertime, rented a car and drived up the Var, and I have actually been to Digne, so I am a bit familiar with the territory. I'm just curious to know if there is a certain plan of attack employed by veterans. I can say that, due to limited seating for award tickets, we are arriving in Paris on Tuesday the 15th and have to fly out on Monday the 21st at noon. The Rally runs on Friday--Sunday,the 18th-20th, although recce should be happening on 16th-17th if I have it right. Since we are pretty much obliged to arrive early, we should be able to check things out in advance.

Anyhow, we are kicking around a number of options...rent a car at DeGaulle and drive south, or take a TGV to Aix or Nice and rent a car there. I may also call a little 2-star hotel I stayed at in Digne to see if they have a room. I just don't have any sense of how berserk things get during the Rallye. We are prepared to sleep in the car if that is necessary, but any sage advice that will help us experience the Rallye in greater comfort would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.