Yeah, but he upgraded the database recently, too. What sort of a database problem do you think it is?

As Far as I can tell, the cookie stores a name, password, language and last visit time. As such, it's dependant on the database on the web side to store what you have or have not seen at any given time. I'd say it HAS to be a database issue. The db could be struggling to keep a record of what is and is not read. Hmmm... Maybe not just the DB. It might be that the BBS code itself is sending an out of date cookie, that then corresponds to an older entry in the database. It might also be a local client time issue, although I doubt that is the full cause... All of my machines are ntp-synched to within a second of each other, and I see it from time to time.

I'm going to turn on a bit of cookie tracking to see about that issue here locally, as I've been seeing it more and more often.

Also, I wonder if the machine the BBS is physically residing on has ntp running on it, or some other manner of time synchro.