I haven't yet really started digging around in the guts of Emma empeg yet, as I am waiting until she's kitted with the first official release.

However, I am starting work on a couple of ideas, one of which I need a little help with.

I want to build an app which can take control of the screen from a single button press, eg. the TAPE button on the remote.

Can anyone explain the following:

1) How do I start my app? At boot time via the init? Are there any alternative ways to launch an app, other than (for example) as a daemon process with no controlling terminal?

2) When one of the source buttons is pressed on the remote, how does the source get selected?

3) Is the empeg player supervising the source selection buttons and carrying out the pause player/select alternate source? Is there a supervising process which carries out these actions?

4) How do I hook into the keypad presses to allow my app to take the screen and keypad over?

5) How does control return on selection of an alternative source?

6) Is there any way yet (prior to publication of the official docs) to hook into the menu structure, or to access the resource management APIs for the menus to display menu selections for an ad hoc application?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015