This is too funny ... I'm at UT-Dallas too. Supposedly next year they're upgrading everything to 802.11A for 100M/bit access.

I bought the Linksys Wireless A/P with built in DSL router ... I've got my intranet at home on this device, four devices (including the empeg on occassion), then from the linksys it goes up to a switch which has my externally available servers and the DSL line. The range is surprising. Lately I've put everything in the study closet to clean up the apartment ... the Linksys sits inside and reaches every portion of my apartment (~1200 sq. foot) If I open the door to the closet and open the porch sliding glass door the range outside is an additional 20-30 ft.

It's got detachable antennae ... I'm thinking I'll see if I can find a extension cable ... run one antennae out of the study window and the other more towards the center of the apartment to increase range in the parking garage (for the empeg, when I get a wireless adapter for the car) and for more solid links outside.

BTW, what's your major at UTD? (Gov't and Politics here, got tired of getting laid off in high-tech).

g