Yes it is an E36-M3.

Sounds like is the alternator that is to blame. Is there a third-party alternator that I could install do you think? What about inductors or orther noise supression at the source - across the alternators output leads?

I'll go for the best sheilded RCA's that I can find here in the states and replace the ones that I'm currently using. I ran the cables down the drivers side (LH side in the US) - your saying that the centre (your spelling :-) is a better choice as the wires for the heated rear screen radiate the alternator noise?> I've got nice cables but they aren't extra sheilded.

I don't have the room to add MDF between the amp and the car's mounting point. It's a Clarion 4302 and barely fits as it is. Perhaps I can rig something to prevent the amp from earthing - I'll have to sit and stare at it for a while.

What kind of spacing do I need between the inductor and the RCA's? Taking the glove box out is a pain in the a** but there is much more room there for think like the inductor.

So: best sheilded RCA cables I can find, move the RCA's to the cars centerline on the way to the amp, isolate the amp from chassis if possible, HD inductor in-line with the amp's power supply, tie all the grounds back to the termination for the rear window heater wiring and if all that doesn't work panic. :-)

That's alot more work than I wanted to do darn it.

______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial