Are serial numbers properly set and unique on everyone's Empeg? There's an interesting problem that arises if you are cloning chunks of different people's remote Empegs... Say you have three users A, B, and C. User A clones a playlist from User B. User C also clones the same playlist from User A. Now say that User A creates a new playlist that references that cloned playlist and User C copies THAT. Currently, speaking strictly about the existing Emplode, the playlist would be a reference count of 2. To pull this off properly with remote copies (and there are actually easier scenarios that this will happen with just two users -- imagine cloning playlists during multiple sessions), I need to have a globally unique FID to reference count against. I was thinking about adding a new tag on cloned files that contain FID augmented with serial number ("12345678@7E3A"). So whenever you clone a node, it would lookup that GFID in your database and know that it's an tune that you already have (albeit with a different local FID assigned).

Phew ... I know, I've made a feature unnecessarily difficult -- but it will be really cool ;) So basically, I need a number that uniquely identifies every Empeg. I'm hoping serial is it. HWaddr can be changed (my router remaps HWaddr, for instance), so I can't do that. How safe is serial for my evil needs?

Thanks
Mike