Well, I guess it's out of the question you coming over to Brisbane to have a look at the install my brother did. :-)

He's taken it around to a couple of the car sound shops he goes to and shown it to them. They ask the standard questions ("that thing takes how much music?") and, from what he's said, they're all relatively knowledgeable enough to install it. After all, it's not difficult...

I think it all comes down to finding an installer you trust. Take the unit, or a page of specs, around to a couple of places and talk to them. If they give you the shrug-off or tell you they can't do it, then you don't want to do business with them. If they start talking big bucks, or going beyond the boundaries of what you want to do, then likewise ditch them. One place I went to, long before I heard of the empeg, started talking in the multiple thousands of dollars for a system - when I had told them I was looking at a couple hundred.

So just find someone you can work with, and check their guarantees.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.