Some probably just don't think the features are important enough.

I guess you have to count me in that group. Don't misunderstand -- I think it is fantastic that all these neat and useful hacks are being made available -- but all I do with my player is... play music. And the standard non-hacked feature set is so rich that I don't even come close to utilizing all the things it can do. Mostly, I just set it to random shuffle, and let it play.

Once in a while a particular song will catch my fancy and I'll dig out the remote and press the "2" key to hear more songs like it. If I'm feeling exceptionally adventurous, I'll live dangerously and press and hold the "7" key and have a song repeat itself. (But I'm not as young as I used to be, so I can only subject myself to that sort of excitement maybe once or twice a week.)

A couple weeks ago, I actually changed over from the Hula Hoops visual to TimeShade128. Now that's living on the edge, I tell you!

I love my empeg but feel that all the additional bells and whistles that are possible would only distract me from why I bought it: to use as a music player.

A long time ago I said on this bbs something to the effect that there are two groups of empeg owners: those who have a Linux computer in their car that just happens to play music; and those who have the world's best music player in their car that just happens to use Linux.

Guess which group I'm in?

tanstaafl.