This is a surprise. Crutchfield is usually pretty good about this stuff.

Yep. I've puchased multiple items from them, and this is the first time I've
been surprised. The diameter of the rear deck holes was just large enough to make it impossible to secure the speakers using all four screws. In fact, only two are firmly screwed into the rear deck; the third is on the edge of the hole, and thus isn't firmly tightened down. The fourth just floats free, so I removed it.

The real problem is that the factory speakers came in a plastic enclosure with threaded rods built in, secured by nuts a good distance from the deck (at least 2"). I may buy some nuts and long machine screws and see if I can't use the existing mounts. Due to the slightly smaller diameter, it may put the screws at too great an angle, but we'll see.

I took it for a drive tonight and tried some fairly heavy bass at high volume (I don't have a sub, so the bass was hitting those rears) and didn't notice any rattling. I took it about as far up as I dared (75W/ch amp, 40W speakers). I still need to tune the amp and Empeg to something more realistic so I don't accidentally blow the speakers.

I think I still have mine from my '88 GTI. If you have trouble locating one, I might be willing to part with it. On second thought, it probably wouldn't fit or look right, being from a decade-older model of car.

Thanks, but I think an 88GTI is an A2 body type, which means it almost certainly won't fit. Shouldn't be a very expensive part. If I can't find one, I may hack together a fake map-holder to put in there instead.

#2529 [blue]Mk2a 10GB + Tuner[/blue] Original reg #3422 http://www.bitshift.org