Greetings,

Perhaps this belongs in the install section, as there has been discussion related to noise there, but here goes anyway.

I have just completed an install on my '99 Subaru Outback Sport. The installers and I came up with: Rockford Fosgate 6-1/2" mid/tweeters for front speakers, JL Audio 4" co-axials for rear speakers, JL Audio 8" Mini-Subwoofer in back. All powered by a PPI 50Wx4 amp, with two channels driving the front and rear speakers, and two channels bridged for the mini-sub.

This all works pretty well, but I have two problems: 1) Alternator Whine, which has been amply (pun intended) discussed in the install section, and which I am having the installers look at tomorrow morning, and 2) Background noise.

Does anybody else hear this noise? It's a 'static' kind of noise which occurs whether the empeg is on or off, being more pronounced when on. I have attempted to reproduce this static noise in three situations:

1) In the Subie: It's noticeable with the music at low volume, when there isn't much engine noise or road noise, and especially with 'quiet' music such as classical piano. When I'm cranking XTC, it's not much of an issue, but it's otherwise pretty annoying. The noise seems to attenuate with the volume levels.

2) Hooked up to my Cambridge Sound Works subwoofer/satellite PC speakers via 1/8" stereo jack. The situation is much the same as in the Subaru. Quiet music, you hear it, rock'n'roll, no big deal. Again, noise seems to attenuate with the volume controls.

3) My home stereo system: I can barely hear this noise when the empeg is plugged into my home stereo receiver (a trusty old Rotel). In the Rotel case, I have to pause the music and turn the volume on the Rotel way up in order to hear the noise. For all practical purposes the noise with the Rotel is nonexistent. I don't know if this is correct usage, but it's as though the signal to noise ratio is very high in the Rotel situation.

Can anyone shed light on what might help in the Subaru case? I think the amplifier is a good one - correct me if I'm wrong car stereo experts. Will the steps taken to deal with the alternator whine perhaps handle my noise issue as well?

I'm terribly under-educated when it comes to all this, so I will be appreciative of any edification thrown my way : )

Greg Durrett

Serial 00098 - Queue #1108
6G Blue
Serial 00098 - Queue #1108
6G Blue