Aha! I will wait as promised before experimenting, but I have an idea. “Learning Remote”. You take your new remote controller, set it to “learn” mode, and tell it which button you are programming. Next you take your old remote, point it next to the new one, and press which button you want to teach it to mimic. I know these exist, I helped my parents program one for their TV this way.

One of these would let me combine some Sony functions with some Empeg functions down into one discrete controller piece. I could then leave my Sony faceplate flipped up, and implement my smooth Empeg cover, for a very clean layout in the dash. As far as what to do with the remote, there are a lot of options. I’ve seen several ways of turning a remote control into an embedded piece in the center console or even wiring it to some steering wheel buttons.

Doesn’t sound too difficult either, the only hard part is installing the remote into some part of the car in an aesthetically pleasing manner. And that I can handle.