Hi.

I was wondering if OBD-II data would be usefull for Kim's navigation software, especially for auto-calibration of map/GPS positions, estiating time till next turn, etc.
I know many commercial navigation systems use a compass in addition to the GPS (though not a very precise one) as well as the information from many onboard sensors, like acceleration (available for airbag and/or breaking control), mileage and speed. Some even check how much you turn your front wheels (i.e if you are driving straight or not). I just don't know if they just get that info from OBD-II on a different way.
Anyway, I am certain that at least speed and mileage would be available through OBD-II, and I think that those would be useful for a navigation software. And if I am right with that, it might be a good idea to find a way to receive both GPS and OBD-II data through the same serial port, even though that would require an additional device to multiplex the serial port. Well, discussion of this might be better kept in the OBD-II thread at the programming forum, where I originally posted this question.

cu,
sven