Ah that makes sense, yes I know what LNG is (we call it LPG - Liquified Petroleum Gas down this way). And we run [some of] our vehicles on it along with our Barbecues, reticulated gas supplies (instead of 'Town Gas' from Coal).

I am not sure about the 'miles from anywhere' applying everywhere it goes as while some of our oil & gas storage depots are not near major civilisations, there is a large tank farm near in Auckland within about 200 metres of the main central business area.

And I know it has the Oil tanks there full of petrol & other explosive petroluem products, and I would suspect it also stores the LNG whenever it arrives by sea tanker before it gets moved to wherever its needed.

Your comments about the explosive nature of the stuff is well taken - we have a pipeline that goes right through most of Auckland which carries the stuff under pressure to/from the Gas fields offshore to the west of the North Island and places further north.

So, yep, we have a timebomb on our doorstep already.

If you want to know what a LNG refinery fire is like - ask someone who lives in Melbourne - they had one such incident nearly 2 years ago now that nearly melted the place down.