Well, there's like a bizillion replys so far, mostly correct. Here is some more background info on the "problem":

"maximal mount count" refers to a counter on the disk, one per filesystem, that is normally incremented each time the filesystem is mounted "writable" (read-write). When this counter exceeds a programmed threshold, a lengthy time-consuming filesystem check is "forced" the next time that filesystem is mounted writable (usually by Emplode). Mostly this is a nuisance, a total waste of time..

The Hijack "disable periodic filesystem checks" simply prevents this counter from incrementing. There is a second, related test done on "writeable" mounts: a time/date comparism. If a programmed time "interval" has elapsed since the most recent filesystem check, then this too will force one. Ugh. Hijack also prevents that from happening.

Neither of the mountcount nor interval checks are necessary for a healthy system. On my Linux desktops, I routinely turn these features off using "tune2fs -c0" -i0", necessary once (ever) per filesystem.

The neat thing is that filesystem checks will still happen with those things turned off, but now they happen ONLY when necessary (improper shutdown while "writeable", or kernel bug, or..).

To check filesystems while logged into an Empeg running the developer image, use the following command sequence:

ro
fsck -fay /
fsck -fay /drive0
fsck -fay /drive1
sync
(and force a reboot by cycling the power or using Hijack's menu)

Cheers

the resident kernel dude.