After I received my empeg 30GB, and looked at the whimpy but crowded 10GB in my G4 Powerbook and my small 4GB MP3 collection, the answer was obvious: swap the disks.

All went well (Powerbook running, empeg playing), BUT...

When booted into Mac OSX 10.1.2, the Powerbook sometimes goes into a funk when spinning up:
It seems to be stuck in an endless loop. It makes the characterisitic sound of the mechanism after spin up (head tracking, not the rotational spin-up sound of the disks themselves), over and over and over again. The OS is unresponsive, well sort-of: Mouse cursor moves, Dock icons still zoom, sometimes I can change focus to other applications. But then the rainbow cursor comes on. That's the end.

Even the three-finger reset does not cure the problem. I have to power down completely and back up.

You will say it's a HD issue, but this never happens in OS9.2.2, it ran a few days with various spin-ups and -downs and no problem.

Do you know about anything that may be different in the empeg HDs? I assumed they were just standard notebook drives.

Any other ideas?

Armin