Heh.. Cracker is accurate, hacker isn't. Since the industry defines the terms used to describe telecommunications hardware, then I would say that they have thought about it. If you looked around in the past couple of years, you will find that companies such as Cisco are using the terms that you say sound stupid. The standard was decided on in 1996, and only now have people actually been exposed to it. When you hear megabit/byte, do you know exactly what number that is? wouldn't you like to know if that 10 megabit connection you were paying for is 10 million or 10x1024x1024 bits/second? To tell you the truth, I have no idea which 10/100 megabit ethernet actually is, so I welcome the clarification provided by the new ``standard''...

Edit: kinda got off on a rant, which wasn't directed at you really... rereading your post reminded me you were just refering to the sound of the new standard, not the standard itself.. yea.. it's funky, but in 10 years we won't care.. when everyone is talking about exibytes, kibibytes will be like bits are today..

Edited by Yang (20/01/2002 00:18)