if i slide the empeg into the dock with the power off, i don't get any speaker pop. when i dock the empeg with the car powered up, the pop occurs. i don't get any pop on powerdown.

in my setup, i have the factory head and the empeg both feeding my amp (JL 300/4) via the sony XA39II switch. so, the factory head causes the amp power-on line to go high when i turn on the ignition, before the empeg is docked. even if i have the factory head powered off, and the amp remote is only driven from the empeg, i still get the pop if i dock it with the car powered on.

for now, i work around it by turning the key to accessory, putting the car in neutral, powering off, inserting the empeg, shifting to park, and powering on. ugh.

lesson learned: next time, swap the location of the factory head and the empeg. i actually thought this would be a nice feature, as the shift lever becomes a theft prevention tool of sorts for those (rare) occasions i leave the empeg in the car, but it's turned out to be more of a hassle than a benefit.

--dan.