Had this idea on the way to work today:
The Empeg's got an IR port on the front that can send/receive data, correct? If so - it should be possible to create a program for the Empeg that could do the following:
1) Hotsync with a Palm via the IR port.
2) Backup/Restore your Palm in the event of a Palm crash (perhaps the source for Penguin Backup could be modified to do this? The data would be 16MB MAX, if you had a Visor Pro... so it'd be a drop in the bucket on the Empeg's drive)
3) Read the Calendar database and give you a popup reminder of a meeting or other scheduled event on your calendar while the Empeg is running. (I'm not talking about a full sync, that wouldn't be practical, as you probably won't enter an appt on the Empeg. Simply a reminder service, that's all. Perhaps the source for ColdSync would help here.)
4) MAYBE: read the contact DB and allow you do do phone number lookup. Depending on how it's implemented, you might be able to use the Empeg IR remote to search contacts.
In any event, I think the reminder feature would be a decent value-add to the Empeg. I know my Palm's constantly going off while I'm in the car - opening it and reading the tiny screen at 60+ mph is an accident waiting to happen. The backup/restore option would simply be an added convenience to that. Something like "BackupBuddy", where it only sends what's changed, rather than all the memory of the Palm every time you sync.
Anyone think it's worth possible, and worth pursuing? If so, I'll spend some time researching/coding something. Caveat: I'm not the best programmer <wink> but I'm OK at taking things other people have written and tweaking/modifying them to suit my needs.