In reply to:

The concept also goes against my whole philosophy with the empeg. One of the important points of that philosophy is to avoid any and all radio usage.

Then I take it that you didn't buy a tuner module?

The point isn't to avoid the radio. It kinda loses something when you're listening to news, weather & traffic info that you've archived as .mp3s on your empeg.

It's getting a little off-topic, but there certainly is a market for XM. So you have to pay to listen to music without commercials... big deal. We've all paid a lot more to do the same. Granted, the difference is that we have control whereas XM listeners don't, but not everyone can afford an empeg (which is why they're no longer made).

I don't see a big demand for voice recording (but then I haven't taken a survey, so I could be wrong) What would you do? Talk to your empeg so you can hear your own voice later? If I really wanted to do that, I'd use my PC and upload the mp3. But the dire need to save the sound of your voice for later while in the car? I guess I just don't get it.

I know for sure that if I'd had a record button on my empeg on 9/11, I would have used it to record the radio broadcasts.