Okay, I use at least four different computers, most with vastly different web browsers. I would like to have a facility to share my bookmarks in real time between those browsers. First off, I'm aware that there are a number of utilities that exist that do this sort of thing, but not quite what I want (if I've missed something there, please point it out). Here are my requirements:
  • Must integrate with the browser in some useful manner
  • Must support updating from the browser
  • Must be a service I can run on my own computers
  • Should deal intelligently with conflicting updates
  • Must work with a significant number of popular browsers (third party plugins are fine)
  • Must not force a user into dealing with exports and imports of the browser's native bookmarks
Is anyone aware of any sort of utility that'll do what I want? If not, I'm up for writing an RFC describing a network protocol for remote bookmark storage, but I'd like to have a server implementation, which I feel I can do, but I don't know how to write browser plugins. Does anyone here?

Personally, I don't understand why this hasn't already been taken care of. The WWW has been around for well over ten years now, and I find it hard to believe that no one else needs this facility. Netscape had a ``Roaming Profile'' facility in their 4.x browsers, but no one else ever supported it, including (unless I'm mistaken) the Netscape 6.x browsers, and it was awfully heavyweight, even if it did use LDAP.