I recognize and understand the theory behind sniping is to maximize your chances of winning the auction. However, I stand behind my point that regardless of what person X will pay, if you go in having a maximum amount you want to pay, it doesn't matter what they pay. If you submit your bid of $210 and they go up to $215, then they want it $5 more than you do. Your whole definition revolves around the phrase "after some thinking" while I contend that you should just pick the price you want it at, enter that bid, and walk away. I guess I just don't go to EBay for stuff I absolutely need, and usually I find better deals on the Internet shopping sites than on EBay. Your mileage may vary.

The other thing is that nowadays *everyone* is sniping, so it defeats the purpose. Like if you were the only person sniping, you'd have an advantage, but so many people are doing it now it's ridiculous. I sell more than I buy from Ebay, but almost all of my auctions have been sold to people who sniped into it... At that point your 1 or 2% increase in chances of winning just barely justify the effort required to watch the auction or use a 3rd party sniping service. Lots of work to save maybe $5 on an auction.